Southport & District Veterans Bowling League
23/01/2024 As modified by the AGM of 2024 (22/01/2024)
1. The League shall be called The Southport and District Veterans Bowling League.
2. The League shall be open to gentleman and ladies aged 55 or over at the 1st August during a playing season, who are members of affiliated Clubs playing on Greens within a ten miles radius of Southport Town Hall.
3. The Officials shall consist of a President, Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary/Treasurer and shall be elected each year at the Annual General Meeting.
4. The Executive Committee shall consist of the above mentioned officials.
5. The Executive Committee shall meet as the occasion requires and shall be given at least 48 hours notice by the Secretary.
6. The Annual General Meeting of the League shall take place at the end of the season on a date fixed by the Executive Committee. All Clubs will be given 14 days notice of the date and venue. The A.G.M. is open to registered players of the League, and in the event of a ballot the Chairman shall have the casting vote Proceedings:
a) To close all proceedings from the past season
b) To elect officials for the coming season
c) To receive applications from Clubs wishing to join the League
d) To form divisions of the League.
e) To fix the annual registration fee for each team.
f) To discuss notices of motions and alteration of the rules.Any proposal, motion or rule change must be with the secretary at least 14 days prior to the AGM
g) Each Club will have three votes.
7. A Registration Meeting shall take place prior to the commencement of the Season. The Captain of each team or their nominee and the Secretary of each Club shall be invite to attend Proceedings:
a) To fix a date for the commencement of the season and to fix Cup Handicaps
b) To fix dates and venues for the League Fixtures
c) To receive completed Registration Forms for the forthcoming season
d) Any other business.
8. All Clubs must furnish the name, address, and telephone number of their Club Secretary and Team Captains to the Secretary at the Registration Meeting.
9. All registration fees due to the League must be paid at the Registration Meeting. There will be a surcharge of £5.00 per week if registration fees are not paid by that date.
10. All Clubs must be represented at all Official League Meetings. Any Club not represented shall be fined £5.00
11. Teams taking part in the competition shall consist of ten players. The team scoring the greatest number of points shall be the winning team. A home team win to score two League points, and an away win to score three League points. If a game is drawn on Aggregate, the home team scores one point, away team scores two points. One League Point for each winning card.
12. The Championship of each division will go to the Team having the highest number of Points at the conclusion of the season’s competition. In the event of a tie the Teams equal on points shall have a play-off on a neutral green. Date and venue to be arranged by the Executive Committee.
a) The two top teams in each of the lower divisions shall be promoted and the bottom two teams in the First and Second divisions relegated. In the event of teams resigning, or new teams being admitted promotion and relegation will be at the discretion of the Management Committee.
b) There will be a merit award for each division of the League. The award will be presented to a player from each division with the highest number of wins in the season. This applies to League games only, not Cup games. If more than one player has an equal number of wins the player with the best average will be declared the winner.
13. Registration of players. Clubs must register their players surnames and forenames and B.C.G.B.A membership number on the registration page of the league web site. The regristration Web page to be completed no later than the March delagates meeting. Only players in the possession of a B.C.G.B.A membership card and number will be elegible for League or competition bowling played in accordance with the rules of the B.C.G.B.A. Failure to comply will automatically debar an individual from playing until such proof is furnished.
a) Any player registered after the March regristration should be communicated to the secretary
b) The Executive Committee are not bound to accept the registration of any player and may give a reason if required.
c) Any player requiring a transfer should put his request in writing and send it to the Secretary.
d) No unregistered player shall be eligible to participate in any League games or competitions.
e) A registered player may play four matches for a higher team in his club provided that the teams are in different divisions. Should he play more he is then considered a member of that team. The same applies in the next highest team etc. No player shall play for both Club teams during the same playing week.
14. All league games shall be played on a Monday afternoon on the dates printed on the Fixture Card. Cup Ties to be arranged as per Rule 30(c) Matches to commence at 1.00pm prompt followed by continuous play in accordance with B.C.B.G.A. Rules Clubs may rearrange a league fixture providing their opponents are given four days notice and the match is played in advance of the scheduled date. Matches may only be postponed in cases of inclement weather or other such reasons that may be approved by the Executive Committee. All postponed matches must be played within 14 or 7 days if the match is the last League fixture of the season. Failure to play within this period will result in the matter being resolved by the Executive Committee with teams not adhering to this Rule facing a fine of £10.00 for the offence.
15. Each Club shall be furnished with a copy of the League Rules and shall be bound thereby. The Executive Committee shall have the power to deal with infringements of the rules or complaints in connection with League matches by either Clubs or players and as circumstances warrant either fine, (including penalising by 12 or 13 points in respect of the offending team) caution, or expel from the League for any specified period. If any Club is expelled all matches played by them will be deemed to be void.
16. Any protest regarding a match or a player taking part therein shall be forwarded to the Secretary within 7 days of the playing date of such a match, together with the sum of £5.00 which will be forfeited if the protest fails, No protest will be considered without the fee. The representative of the Club or Clubs concerned shall not vote on the matter under protest. The decision of the Executive Committee on a matter in dispute will be final and no other correspondence will be entered into.
17. Any Club failing to field a full team shall allow their opponents 21 points for each absentee.
18. Visiting players shall only be permitted to practice on the green cleared of home players during the 15 minutes prior to the commencement of League matches. The visiting captain to be allowed to practice 10 minutes prior to his team in conjunction with the home team. Any team breaking this rule shall be fined £1.00.
19. The home Club must ensure the result of each match is input on the web site results page within three days of completion of the match.
20. Any Club playing an unregistered or ineligible player shall be fined £5.00 and shall forfeit 21 points.
21. The home captain shall place the names of the first five players on the match card and then cover his side of the card, The visiting captain shall place the names of the first five players on the match card to allw the home captain to write out the score cards. The entries of the remaing five players to be completed in a similar manner in order to keep the game flowing at a reasonable rate, Both captains must agree the result of the march.
22. In the case of inclement weather or other untoward circumstances, the Home Captain will decide whether to proceed or not. Completed games must stand. Unfinished games must be resumed at the score standing when the game was abandoned.
24. The Captains shall decide any dispute arising during the progress of a match. Failure to agree, the matter must be referred to the Executive Committee.
25. The League Secretary has the right to visit any Club green and may at the Clubs invitation attend their A.G.M.
26. Any member being guilty of disorderly conduct, using objectionable language or violation of the rules of the League may be expelled from the League and forfeit all his rights therein.
27. It is expected that all Clubs and members thereof will assist the Officials in carrying out their duties in connection with the League and will play the game in a manner creditable to both Clubs and League.
28. No proposal for the alteration of any rules or the inclusion of new rules will be considered unless 21 days "notice of motion" in writing is given to a proposal alterations or addition.
29. If the Secretary considers that a results sheet contains a false score or scores, he shall raise the matter at the next meeting of the Executive Committee. If the Executive Committee is of similar opinion, no points shall be awarded to either team concerned and a fine of £25.00 will be levied on each of the teams.
30. The League rules will apply to the Divisional Knockout Cup competitions with the following provisos:
a) The total aggregate score shall determine the winning team. In the event of the two teams aggregate score being equal the away team shall be declared the match winner. In the case of Cup Finals which are played on neutral greens, if the aggregate scores are equal the winning team is then determined by the team having the most wins, if this is tied then the team having the best individual winner.
b) Players must have played in a minimum of three (3) League games to be eligible to play in Cup Semi-Finals, and Final. When a player has played in a Cup game he shall remain with that team and not be allowed to play for any other team in a Cup Competition during that season.
c) All Cup matches to be mutually arranged by the respective Captains and played within the timescale indicated on the Fixture Card. The only exception to this rule will be the final of each competition where venues and times will be decided by the Executive Committee. On the toss of a coin the winning Captain shall decide to take either the first or second five jacks.
d) All Knockout Cup finals to be played on neutral greens. Two (2) score cards shall be used for all individual games.
e) Practice will be allowed in all cup ties including the final The first named team 1pm to 1.15pm and the second name team 1.15pm to 1.30pm.
f) All teams involved in finals on neutral greens shall pay £1.00 greenage per player to the host Club.
g) When playing on a neutral green, especially a private one, a club representative should decide whether to play or not in bad weather conditions.
31. Mobile Phones and Pagers in active mode are not allowed on the green. Should a player fail to comply, that player shall forfeit the game. The offender(s) to receive no further score and the opponent (s) to receive the maximum score.
32. Smoking is not allowed on the Green whilst participating in the game of Bowls.The offending player or players shall receive no further score and the opponent(s) shall receive the maximum score